A Winboard/Xboard Chess Playing Program
By Pradu Kannan
Next version will be parallel using a slightly modified DTS algorithm!
Download Buzz 0.08
Click here for older releases
Also check out Dirty, a Buzz-EveAnn hybrid.
Buzz might play a little stronger using one of these bigger books instead of the default book:
Here is the source code for some older version of Buzz released under GPL. It is intended to be an example program for new chess programmers. I might update it every now and then.
Download Opensource Buzz
Fast Magic Move Bitboard Generator
This generator came about through inspiration by Lasse Hansen's move generator and
research for a couple months on my part about magics. This is also the generator I
intend to use for Buzz. You can use this to generate move bitboards for your own
chess engine if you wish.
Download Magic Move Bitboard Generator
Buzz Games (PGN)
Some logos are scaled down because they are too big to display here. Click on them for full scale.
3D Chess Control Preview
I'm also developing a 3D chess control when I get bored of Buzz for a while. This is going rather slow because I rarely get bored of Buzz. The plans, if and when I get around to it, are to implement texture mapping, full screen anti-aliasing, piece animations and triangular stripping of models. The chessboard with two different piece sets are shown below. Click to enlarge the images.
Download Preview Executable (Windows)
The 3d piece models were created by Robert Wood.
- Olivier Deville
Operates Buzz for ACCA and CCT
- IM Karr, Jean-Philippe
Provided PGNs for book creation.
- Lasse Hansen
Introduced me to the concept of magic bitboard move-generation
- Bryan Hoffman
An experienced optimizer who has kindly made 32-bit and 64-bit Windows compiles for Buzz.
- James Coit
Operates Buzz on FICS under the handle Singularity.
A Few Winboard Interfaces
- Original Winboard/Xboard (Windows, Unix, MacOS)
- Scotti's Enhanced Winboard (Windows only)
- Chess Pad (Windows only)
- Scid (Windows, Unix, MacOS)
- Arena (Windows only)
- Chessmaster (Windows only, commercial)
- Slibo (Unix only)
- BabasChess (Windows only)
Engine Testing and Tournaments
- How to test an engine
- TLCV Server List
- The Dirty Dozen
Computer Chess Programming
- Winboard Forum
- Bruce Moreland's Chess Programming Topics
- Ed's Programming Page
- Rizzuti's Chess Paper Collection
- Chess Articles
- Bit Twiddling Hacks
- The Aggregate Magic Algorithms
- Blockage Detection in KP endgames
- Parallel αβ Search on Shared Memory Multiprocessors
- DTS - High-Performance α&beta Parallel Search for Shared Memory Multiprocessors
- Introduction to the APHID Parallel αβ Search Algorithm (For Clusters)
- The APHID Parallel αβ Search Algorithm
- Test Positions
- Chess Tools
- The C Book
- POSIX Threads Programming
- Programming Optimization
- Software Optimization Guide for the AMD64 Processors
- Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manuals
- Software Optimization Resources
- Wikipedia-Software Optimization
- :[diStorm64}: The ultimate disassembler library (for X86-64)